Wednesday 25 November 2015

First Semester - check! (Almost)



I cant believe I am writing this, but in two weeks, first semester will be over! Half my time here will be done - that makes it sound like I’m in prison! I’m really not, for anyone who hasn't clicked on, I love it here! I just cant believe how quickly time is going! It seems like yesterday we got off the plane and attended our first week of classes. Yet since that day we have survived midterms, the stress of picking next semester classes and our Remembrance Week. With no break from the moment we arrived we have welcomed Thanksgiving with open arms this week! A nice relaxing week off eating plenty food. - nothing new there with the food side then, we are in America after all! ;). I would be lying if I told you this semester was easy and stress free, however, I’d also be lying to you if I’d told you I haven't been loving every minute! Whether its been the first basketball game of the season or the last football game! I’ve done it all and I am so grateful for this opportunity.
Its already time for next years applicants to apply and to me, that seems crazy! I can remember getting the phonemail like it was yesterday! But to anyone reading this who thinks they may apply, want advice? JUST DO IT, FILL OUT THAT APPLICATION AND GO THROUGH THE INTERVIEW PROCESS AND IF YOU’RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE GIVEN THE SCHOLARSHIP, EMBRACE IT! You’re about to take part in one of the best years of your life. Make Friends for life and make memories that will last forever. Have I missed home? For sure! But its only natural and human! I remember the day I was told I’d been given the scholarship, lying in bed that night crying, thinking”What the hell have I go myself in for here!?” but seriously, don’t let homesickness or thoughts like that stop you from applying. There are so many opportunities and people here on campus that can help you through it all, and trust me (sorry mum) but sooner or later you realise you need to forget about home and just enjoy your time here, and trust me, it may take a few months before you realise it. But you will realise it, the time goes quicker than you know! There are too many things for you to be involved with hereon campus to remember home. You’ll be back there soon, take in the ‘Cuse experience while you can! Yeah people back home will stop talking to you even if they said “We will stay in touch, like, all the time. I might even come visit OMG!” but its things like this that let you know who you’re real friends are!

This semester I have taken part in - White water rafting, Ice skating with a class, 3 point challenge with the ‘Cuse basketball team (AMAZING), Pepsi fan cam at the dome, and the most stressful work load ever, but the work load is nothing when you look at all the other amazing things I’ve been able to do! This could be you! This could be your brother or sister, or your son or daughter. 

You could spend a year meeting and spending time with some of the most welcoming families there are out there. One family I’ll never forget are the Monetti’s - Their son Richard died on the plane, the reason we are here is because they lost their son, yet they have been themes kind hearted people ever and will always have a place in my heart and as their son said “A good attitude is worth 5 points; don’t sit back, make the most of everything. Do all you can while you can. Life is a one time deal” Its opportunities like this that allow you to build a bond with someone you never met. They fill a place i your heart. Remembrance week will make you cry, laugh and remember but it’ll also make you eternally grateful! You’ll miss home but your remembrance fam will be there and you’ll love them just as much as your own family. I know I love every 36 other scholars that I spent my first semester with! 
But seriously, If you’re thinking about applying and are unsure, drop me a message, a comment, anything! I will do anything I can to persuade you this is the thing for you!


2 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm is correct. Great Blog! Loved reading it.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, great to be able to read about your experiences since being selected as a Lockerbie Scholar. The Trust is now in the process of selecting next year's Scholarship students so it's good to have your feedback for potential scholars and for the Trustees to hear about all the opportunities you're taking! Hope you're keeping busy :)

    ReplyDelete